Tips for Functional Kitchen Island DesignJune 27, 2018
A kitchen island is a wonderful thing to have in your kitchen suite, since it isn’t only aesthetically pleasing, but it also adds much needed efficiency, especially if you spend a lot of time prepping and cooking. While there are innumerable kitchen island designs to choose from these days, there are integral tips that every homeowner should know before opting for one.
Not all kitchen islands are made the same, and factors like size, material, and function all play a role in making it something which actually benefits and even enhances a kitchen’s overall function, or undermines it.
If you are contemplating on having a kitchen island installed, here are some key points you need to know:
- Size isn’t everything – a lot of home owners make the common mistake of opting for large kitchen islands, with the notion that a larger island will allow them to do more with it. This idea is actually contrary to the general function of a kitchen island however, which is designed for small tasks that require quick movement. A large kitchen island can not only crowd your kitchen, but it will also slow you down by placing a lot of necessary things out-of-reach.
- Form has to embody function – do you have a specific cooking style or cuisine that you follow religiously? Are you more versatile when it comes to cookery? Do you like to bake? All of these things have to be kept in mind when installing a kitchen island, since it can do more than simply become the baseline for efficient movement and easy kitchen workflow.
It can likewise be designed to look like a lovely piece of kitchen furniture, replete with small shelves for cookbooks, spice and condiment bottles, and storage areas for small items like cutlery or other kitchen tools.
- Always plan the electrical outlets ahead – plan your electrical outlets ahead of time, so they can be strategically installed in an island in such a way as to not compromise its overall aesthetics while allowing for maximum functionality.
- Consider adding drawers and mini cabinets – while an attractive kitchen island does take up space, it can likewise be custom designed to provide much needed storage areas, by adding drawers for kitchen tools and mini cabinets for pots and pans.
To discover what size kitchen island is best for your home, visit use here at Richmond Kitchens & Joinery, we specialise in designing custom-built kitchen islands to meet you kitchen’s specific needs.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Kitchen Layout in Kitchen Renovation: Why Is This Important to Consider from Start to Finish?
- Five Things to Consider Before Planning for an Alfresco Area Home Extension
- View All Articles